Have you ever tried them?
From Better Than Store Bought by Helen Witty and Elizabeth Schneider Colchie
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract ( use more!!)
1. Sift cornstarch with the powdered sugar into a bowl. Grease 8x8 pan and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp cornstarch/sugar mixture, tilting to coat evenly. Leave excess in pan.
2. Sprinkle gelatin into the water in a small saucepan and let soak 5 minutes. Add granulated sugar and stir over moderately low heat until sugar and gelatin dissolve.
3. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine gelatin mix, corn syrup, salt and vanilla and beat for 15 minutes on high until peaks form.
4. Spread the fluffy mixture into the pan and smooth the top. Leave to set for 2 hours.
5. With a wet knife, cut the marshmallow mixture into quarters and loosen from pan. Sprinkle remaining cornstarch/sugar mix on baking sheet and roll the marshmallows onto it. Cut each quarter into 9 pieces and roll to coat.
6. Let the dry on a cake rack overnight, then store airtight for a month, if they last that long.
For a real treat, use them for rice krispie bars. Mmmmmm.