Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Got Zucchini?

By Jennifer Poenix

It's harvest time in northern Minnesota! Is your garden overflowing with produce?

I decided to plant zucchini this year. I had purchased it a few times at last year's farmers' market and really liked it. I had never really eaten much of it before except when my mom would make a chocolate zucchini cake when I was a girl. My mom never gardened, but usually ended up with a few zucchini every summer from someone, so she would make cake.

I have made three of these cakes so far this summer, and thought I'd share the recipe with anyone who finds themselves with an abundance of the green stuff:

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Mix Together:
1/2 c. margarine or butter

1/2 c. oil

1 3/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 c. buttermilk OR 1/2 c. milk plus 1/2 Tbsp vinegar

In a separate bowl, sift together:

2 1/2 c. flour

1/4 c. cocoa

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

Add to batter. Then add 2 cups grated zucchini. Pour into greased, floured pan (I use a 9 x 13). Sprinkle 1 or 2 cups of chocolate chips on the top and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Do you have any favorite zucchini recipes?

No comments: