Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Walking in the GASF

By Jennifer Poenix



If it's nice enough outside, my family and I go for a walk after supper most nights. We often end up on the River Road ski trails in the Golden Anniversary State Forest. Thanks to Boomer the Groomer for making the trails passable after the grass got too high.

So, it's me, my husband Jeff, son Zane, and dog Cooper on the trail. Cooper likes being able to run through the woods without his leash. If we decide to keep our walk shorter by staying out of the state forest, he tries to take us there anyway. Zane seems to enjoy riding in his stroller, even if the ride is a bit bumpy.


Jeff and I have found a few treats that the woods have to offer. The blackberries have become ripe in the last week or so. We haven't remembered to bring a container to carry them home in yet, but they are nice treat to find as we walk. The last time we walked, Jeff also found hazelnuts. He has a really good eye for them. He told me that he sees the plants all along our route. I have no idea what to look for. Yet, anyway. I tasted my first hazelnuts a few days ago. Not too bad, but not that great either.


There's all kinds of treasure to find in northern Minnesota's woods, if you just know what to look for. I don't know if I'm supposed to tell you yet, but KAXE's fall fundraiser is going to be all about the things you observe in your life, whether they are nature related or not. It's scheduled for October 20-31, and, like all of KAXE's fundraisers, we'll aim to make it fun.

So, keep your eyes (and your ears) open. You never know what you might find.

No comments: