Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Yeah Yeah Yeah

By Jennifer Poenix

I’m 27, and I like the Beatles. If you have heard me host "On the River" on KAXE, you have probably heard a Beatles tune or two.

“But Jennifer,” you may be saying, “you weren’t even born yet when the Beatles were a band. You didn’t experience them in the 60’s.” Yeah, I’ve heard that before.

When I was young, I didn’t know that the Beatles had been one of the most popular bands of all time (if not the most). I just liked their songs.

When I was in 9th grade, The Beatles Anthology aired on ABC in three parts. (They promoted it by calling themselves “A Beatles C.”) I was mesmerized and turned into a total Beatles geek. I bought books, t-shirts, and scoured antique stores for records or any other collectibles I could find. I wrote discographies in a Mead 5-Star notebook. I was constantly doodling the Beatles drum in school. I quoted A Hard Day’s Night.

As I approached high school graduation, my aunt asked me where I would go if I could go anywhere in the world. My immediate answer? Liverpool. Little did I know that she was actually planning to take me there! We went, and it was amazing.

My son Zane is almost two, and while I haven’t exactly forced the Beatles on him, he does say, “Yeah, yeah, yeah,” quite a bit, and I’ve also taught him how to shake his head and say “wooooo!” It just goes to show that even though a person might not have been around when Beatlemania was prevalent, they can still be a fan.

1 comment:

DJtheDJ917 said...

What is your favorite article of Beatle memorabilia? I think it was 9th grade when I first heard ABOUT the Beatles. My best friend Clint had spent the previous year in Germany with his sister and brother-in-law who was stationed there with the U.S. Army. Clint arrived back in town right before school started and we couldn't believe what we saw. He had his hair combed down and dry, he had a funny looking sport coat with no collar, a skinny tie, severely pegged pants and some evil lookin black pointed cockroach kickin boots with stacked heels. We were laughin so hard and he said you guys wait there's somethin comin and it is going to be BIG. And then he told us about the Beatles and the mania happenin all over Europe. Surprisingly I don't remember if he brought any of their records back with him. Well, later that fall JFK was assassinated and the whole country was in a deep dark place and then the Beatles came and kinda snapped us out of our funk...and we never heard surf music again.