Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Many Colors of Mark Olson

by Doug MacRostie

This week I'll be talking with Mark Olson about his new solo CD "Many Colored Kite." That name should be familiar, Mark was the founding member and principle singer/songwriter with The Jayhawks. One of the most acclaimed bands to come out of MN, the Jayhawks were on the forefront of the Alt-Country scene during the mid-80's through mid-90's and you can still hear their impact and influence in music today. This is Mark's 2nd solo CD, and it's a bit more upbeat than "Salvation Blues" which came out in 2007. Other than being a world-class singer, songwriter and performer, he's a very good speaker too, and we will talk in-depth about his music - this is going to be a great interview on Centerstage MN this Thursday night at 6.

For example, I asked Mark Olson what inspires him, "The basic struggle as far as family, friends, earning a living, existence, our place in the would - just the basics that I think most people struggle with in their lives, that inspires me to try and express myself about it. Things that are obviously wrong - I don't think that I can change the world or make anything better... if I can express myself in a way that points out something wrong and if there's a solution out there...I don't know. But that inspires me, there is so much wrong in the world right now. If you sing a song you can help someone feel better or even yourself. What also inspires me, this is really true; I like the physical aspect of playing music, I like how it feels to move the arms and sing and get into it - there's just something about that I've always enjoyed." See what I mean?

We'll also hear music from Pat Surface's new CD "Songwriter. " Pat has been making music for over 30 years from Ely. Along with The Boundary Water Boys he's put together a great collection interpreting many well-known songs. Pat only prints his releases 1000 copies at a time, and when I bumped into him in Bemidji last week he told the first pressing of "Songwriting" sold out in less than 5 days. Right on!

Plus we'll hear from Grand Rapid's High Bongo. And next week my guest is The Brothers Burn Mountain and we'll hear from their new CD "Partly in the Blue, the White."

Centerstage MN is Thursday evenings at 6, streaming live online at www.KAXE.org; or 91.7 Grand Rapids, 89.9 Brainerd and 105.3 Bemidji and can be heard again Sunday mornings at 6. All interviews are archived at www.KAXE.org. Centerstage MN is also heard on KSRQ in Thief River Falls, and on KMSU in Mankato. Sometimes heard on KFAI in Minneapolis & St. Paul and WTIP in Grand Marais. Often featured on MNartists.org.

No comments: