Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Family Tradition of Music on Centerstage MN

by Doug MacRostie

"If you want to hear the voice of Grand Rapids, you need to hear Tom Dowling," I was told a couple weeks ago. "Really?" I asked, "That's my cousin...". It's true, this week on Centerstage MN I'll be joined by my cousins Tom and Alan Dowling of GROCK for some live music and conversation. From a very musical family, they were surrounded by people making music their entire lives; from their Grandpa Ted and The Tolerable Band (including many family members) performing music from the 1910's, 20's and 30's, to their parents and the influence of "The Beatles" generation, all the way to the music of today. I'll talk with Tom about his passion for music and what it's like being a working musician in the Grand Rapids area.

And we'll hear my conversation with Mason Jennings about his latest CD "Blood of Man." I actually recorded and aired this interview last year, but I think it's definitely worth hearing again. You can read more about this interview, and what I love about the album, in this previous blog: "Blood of Mason: Inside the Mind of a Songwriter."

Plus new music from High Bongo 2 Blue and Bingham and Thorne.

Centerstage MN is Thursday evenings at 6, streaming live online at www.KAXE.org; or 91.7 Grand Rapids, 89.9 Brainerd and 105.3 Bemidji. All interviews are archived at www.KAXE.org and the show is rebroadcast Sunday mornings at 6.

No comments: