Friday, January 22, 2010

Teen Jobs in the Northland

by Maddi Frick

Hopefully, next fall I will study abroad in Dublin, Ireland. What I’ll be able to pay for while I’m in Dublin directly depends on how much work I can find this summer. And I’m scared. On top of added tuition expenses, it is recommended to have $4000 to $5000 to pay the cost of living in Dublin for three and a half months. The past couple summers I was able to find part time work picking strawberries, working in a greenhouse, and babysitting. However, this summer, that won’t cut it.


Time magazine recently reported on the difficulties teenagers have finding jobs. Not only are there fewer jobs to be had, baby boomers aren’t retiring. Employers choose older workers, and wages teens are able to earn are often cut down by the national ninety-day subminimum training wage.

Last year, when I called to check about an application I had sent in to a local resort, they said they had already filled all their positions by early April, much earlier than they usually do. “It's hard to find them . . . you either can find jobs for part-time that only offer you 10 hours or less a week or you find jobs that make you work overtime! [There is] no happy medium!” says my friend Sarah. Molly says “college students always get stuck with the worst shifts. Working nights 40 hours a week isn't exactly what I had in mind for my summer.”

“I agree with Sarah,” from Rachel. “It seems like everything fills up so fast that all that is left sometimes are fast food places . . . unless you look out of town at [resorts] that are always hiring housekeepers, but those types of jobs don't pay very well. It is just difficult to find a good summer job in a town that is small with less opportunities compared to Duluth.”

I’d like to wish good luck to my fellow teenagers, may you and I find a job this summer.

No comments: