Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Best Picture

by Scott Hall

Mark Tarner, a.k.a. M T Head, and I just had a good go around about which of some very good 2009 movies is the best one. The problem is we haven't seen the same movies. Mark's vote goes to "Avatar", for new standards it set as an incredible viewing experience - standards far beyond anything yet. Mark saw it in 3-D. I saw it in 2-D. "Avatar" isn't my choice. I didn't think the visual experience overcame an ordinary story and uninteresting characters.

Of the ones I've seen, I prefer "The Hurt Locker", Crazy Heart", "Inglourious Basterds", and "Into The Air". "The Hurt Locker" is tense and gut-wrenching, depressing, well-written and acted. Jeff Bridges nails the main character in "Crazy Heart". I don't like most of Quentin Tarentino's movies, but I like "Inglourious Basterds" more every time I think about it. Haven't seen "Precious", but believe Mo'nique deserved the Oscar from just the one scene I've seen.

Another problem with these lists is there are so many great independent gems we'll never get to... What's on your list?

No comments: