Thursday, February 12, 2009

Soup and Pickles

Christie from East Bethel MN sent some recipes and a hand-written note with stories about the recipes to KAXE. Here’s what she said:

“I am an avid fan of KAXE and listen mostly over the Internet. I try to catch most weekday morning shows and have long enjoyed the Local Food Scene report. I wished I could’ve crunched on your pickles like Scott Hall. I wanted to share a family recipe sure to be crunchy, but I believe that is because they are refrigerator pickles (their only drawback, in my opinion). My great aunt would slice them. I prefer spears. She lived and worked in a small town drugstore in central Wisconsin. She would make them in a 5-quart bucket and take them to work. Word would get our and the local business folks would stop in at the store for their coffee-pickle break. She’d bring home an empty bucket the same day.

Great Aunt Olga’s Refrigerator Pickles

2 quarts water
1 quart white vinegar
3 cups sugar
1 cup salt (can use ¾ cup)

Bring above to a boil and pour over layered onion, dill and cucumbers. Store in refrigerator. Can eat after 24 hours. Last at least 6 months.

Please pass this soup recipe on to Heidi. I was sorry to have missed that show [Between You and Me, talking about soup] but hope to catch up on the submitted recipes. Sorry the recipe [below] is vague, that was how it was shared to me and it always tastes great and can be prepared fairly quickly for soup.

Red Lentil Soup

1 cup red lentils
5 cups broth

Saute onion in butter, add lentils and broth, season with cumin and bay leaves and a couple slices of lemon. Juice rest of lemon to add at the end.

Cook/simmer until lentils are soft, 25-35 minutes

KAXE is a true treasure and everyone deserves kudos for helping deliver its pleasures. Thank you—Christie from East Bethel MN (a KAXE member)"

No comments: