Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I Am SOOO Not Sick of Sarah

by Doug MacRostie

This week on Centerstage MN my guests are Abisha Uhl and Jamie Holm, 2 of the 5 ladies that are Sick of Sarah, an indie rock band out of Minneapolis. Their self-titled debut CD drives down the Rock highway with Pop dragging behind. Some of the songs like "Breakdown" seem to make it impossible to drive the speed limit, while a song like the acoustic "Fall" slows down, opens up and shows a totally different side. They've got catchy melodies, beautiful harmonies and enough attitude for that edgy feel. I am very excited to have Abisha and Jamie on this week!!!

I am also totally pumped because I have some brand-spanking-new CDs to share. Like the new Clawthroat EP "Know Yr Roots." Singer, guitarist and songwriter Joseph Downing joined me last year when they landed a gig at the Winnipeg Folk Fest w/ their demo relase. The demo was great, but the EP has some new songs and new recordings of a couple songs from the demo. Clawthroat's style is hard to describe, sort of a roots folk-rock/americana; like they've taken an old style and modernized it. I plan to have Joseph on to talk about it soon :D

And I'll be playing the new Two Many Banjos CD "Can't Slow Me Down." This is their 4th CD in 2 years and Marc Gartman's songwriting is in full stride with this one! I really enjoy Marc's work (he's been on before about previous TMB CDs, and the Marc Gartband) and once again I have been pleasently surprised. Two Many Banjos continue to push folk/bluegrass boundaries to their limits and I am also planning to get Marc back on to talk about it. Oh, and I hear they are already working on album #5, and expect to release it before the year is out...so yeah, they really can't be slowed down.

And I'll try calling Dylan's cell number again. After finding the # on my desk last week, I ended up leaving Bob a message. Maybe I'll actually reach him this time...

Centerstage MN is every Thursday evening at 6pm streaming live at KAXE.org, or 91.7 Grand Rapids, 89.9 Brainerd and 105.3 Bemidji. You can hear all my interview from Centerstage MN archived at KAXE.org, and the show is rebroadcast Sunday mornings at 6.

No comments: