Thursday, November 25, 2010

Last Minute Thanksgiving recipe

by Heidi Holtan

A couple of weeks ago on Between You and Me I talked about an easy recipe for a corn casserole.  So easy in fact, that's it's a little embarrassing.  One caller said they call it "redneck corn casserole" in their family.  Whatever you call it, it's really really good.  So good that I'm always asked to bring it.  Mine is cooling on the counter right now, and even though it might be a little late for Thanksgiving for you, this might just be the thing to liven up the leftovers.

CORN CASSEROLE

1 can whole kernel corn (frozen works just as well)
1 can creamed corn
1 stick margarine (I use butter - NEVER margarine!)
1 c. sour cream
1 box corn muffin mix

1 egg
crushed up saltine crackers for the top

Mix all ingredients together in greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Crush saltines on the top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Feel free to doctor this with pepper jack cheese, peppers, or anything to your liking.

1 comment:

hydroxytyrosols said...

Just what I needed since I am regrettably a last minute person. Thank you for rescuing me with this perfect recipe solution.

Guess what? I also found some very heartwarming Thanksgiving stories by NPR at http://www.thanksgiving-food-gifts.com/npr-short-thankgiving-stories-true-real-story.php They're wonderful and I wanted to share them on this Thanksgiving day.

Gale
Nashua, Iowa